The E-Government Act (Public Law 107-347) passed by Congress in 2002 and signed into law by the President underscores the importance of information security to the economic and national security interests of the United States. The National Institute of Standards and Technology is responsible for the framework around Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA).
MedicTek can help your organization build upon the framework established by the NIST, as outlined on their web-site. An effective information security program should include:
- Periodic assessments of risk, including the magnitude of harm that could result from the unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification, or destruction of information and information systems that support the operations and assets of the organization
- Policies and procedures that are based on risk assessments, cost-effectively reduce information security risks to an acceptable level, and ensure that information security is addressed throughout the life cycle of each organizational information system
- Subordinate plans for providing adequate information security for networks, facilities, information systems, or groups of information systems, as appropriate
- Security awareness training to inform personnel (including contractors and other users of information systems that support the operations and assets of the organization) of the information security risks associated with their activities and their responsibilities in complying with organizational policies and procedures designed to reduce these risks
- Periodic testing and evaluation of the effectiveness of information security policies, procedures, practices, and security controls to be performed with a frequency depending on risk, but no less than annually
- A process for planning, implementing, evaluating, and documenting remedial actions to address any deficiencies in the information security policies, procedures, and practices of the organization
- Procedures for detecting, reporting, and responding to security incident
- Plans and procedures to ensure continuity of operations for information systems that support the operations and assets of the organization.